Thursday, March 13, 2014

Toasted Coconut Chips

Around Christmas time I was shopping at Cost Plus World Market for stocking-stuffers.  As usual, I was also browsing through products to see what things I could add to my pantry.  I commented to an employee that I was happy to see they carried coconut sugar, because the closest place to get it that I knew of was 30 minutes away.  "You like coconut?" she asked.  "You have to try these!"  I followed her and she handed me a bag of DANG Toasted Coconut Chips.  Yowsa!  I was hooked the moment I tried them!

Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago.  I receive fresh fruit and milk deliveries at my home from a local organic company.  In my box was a fresh coconut.  I had never used one before and I had no idea what to do with it.  After looking up "how to open a fresh coconut" on youtube, I made my attempt.  It was easy!  I just punched some holes into the eyes with a hammer and a Phillips screwdriver, emptied the water, and then tapped the horizontal circumference of the coconut with the same hammer until it cracked open.  After removing and peeling the meat I simply sliced it into thin slices with a paring knife to try my hand at homemade toasted coconut chips.  Total success!





Slice fresh coconut meat as thinly as possible. Add 1/4 cup of sugar and 1 tsp. salt to 1 cup reserved coconut water and dissolve. Add to coconut shavings in plastic bag. Squeeze out excess air and let soak overnight (about 10-12 hours). Strain, spread shavings in a thin layer on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone mat. Bake at 200 degrees for about 4-5 hours, checking frequently, until desired crispness is achieved. They will be slightly chewy while warm, but when they cool they are delightfully crisp.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I've heard just how much that little girl of yours likes these, so I'm going to give it a shot! *gulp*

    ReplyDelete